The Newport Beach Chapter of Surfrider was founded in 1990 with a focus on water quality education and activism. Teach and Test, a water testing program for local high schools, is the foundation of the educational effort.
Whatever reason for connecting with the ocean, make that connection a commitment by volunteering your time with the Surfrider Foundation. It’s a great place to meet and network with fun people! We always welcome volunteers of all ages to participate in this worthwhile cause.
If you are in need of community service hours, project work, mentoring for a project; then this is where it can begin for you or your group. We can help you achieve your goals and you while be making a difference too. We can verify the hours that you attend and volunteer if needed. newportbeach.surfrider.org/
How do I become a volunteer?
To add your name to our volunteer list please email our Volunteer Coordinator. We look forward to your involvement.
How else may I be involved?
There are several things you may do to be involved and make a difference:
- Attend a chapter meeting.
- Participate in a beach cleanup event or organize one for your favorite beach.
- Help implement Surfrider’s Respect the Beach educational program by speaking to school groups.
- Attend city council meetings and make your voice heard on environmental issues. Consider environmental platforms and voting records when you vote.
- Participate in other environmental groups. See your local paper for listings and phone numbers.
- Set an example for others by doing your part to reduce urban runoff pollution that impacts our beaches. Learn more about this and take a look at the do’s and don’ts on the city water quality web page at http://www.newportbeach.net/government/departments/waterquality/.
- Look for action alerts and petition drives from Surfrider and take action to protect our coastal environment.
- Join our Newport Beach email list at http://surfridernb.com/site/mailing-list/.
- Get information on “10 Ways” for a cleaner ocean.
- Learn more about Surfrider Foundation at the headquarters site at http://www.surfrider.org